As part of our Eat Like a Local series, we’ve been speaking to some of the UK’s best cookery schools and finding out just what makes Spanish food so unbelievably tasty. Next up, we’ve got Claremont Farm.
This family-run cookery school champions local produce – a lot of which is from the farm itself. Teaching chefs everything from the art of foraging to masterclasses in tapas cookery, the school is well versed in making food which is not only healthy, but delicious.
Such an ethos is evident in the choice of dish here – vegetable tortilla. Packing in protein, vitamins and other vital nutrients, vegetable tortilla is easy to make and will keep you feeling fresh and well-nourished throughout the day.
Vegetable tortilla – ingredients
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 red onion, sliced
2 garlic cloves, sliced
½ butternut squash, roasted
Handful of Kale
8 beaten eggs
½ pack of feta cheese
Salt and pepper
- Peel the butternut squash and cut into cubes. Put on a tray and drizzle with olive oil, then sprinkle with salt and pepper before cooking on a medium heat until they turn soft and mildly brown.
- While cooking, break all eggs into a bowl. Whisk and set aside.
- Add the onion and garlic into a good, non-stick frying pan and cook until soft. Throw in the kale and keep cooking until it wilts.
- Mix in the cooked butternut squash until all ingredients are combined.
- Now add all the eggs and slowly mix until they start to cook. Turn the heat right down.
- Crumble the feta cheese on top, pushing it into the egg.
- Now for the tricky part – add a plate on top of the pan with a tea towel on top. Flip over onto plate then slide the tortilla back into the pan to cook the other side.
- Leave on a medium heat for a few minutes until all ingredients are cooked through.
- Flip back out on to a plate and serve with a crisp local salad.